Friday, February 13, 2009

Please Read...

I know I keep urging you to read the blogs of Jaime and Aaron Ivey and I'll urge you again today. Please go to: www.aaronivey.com and read Aaron's recent post called WANT. This post really speaks to me as I have felt God working on my heart to desire and want the things He wants me to desire and want. Not what the world wants me to desire and want.

For me, it is like alcoholism. It is a daily fight for me. A constant struggle. An addiction of sorts. I want the things the world tells me I need. Cute clothes. Cute shoes. A "nice" car. A house with lots of room and a big backyard. A "nice" neighborhood. Just the right jewelry for that one outfit. A skinny body. Highlighted hair.

I read over that list and realize what a schmuck I really am. I mean...really? Am I waking up and fooling myself every day into thinking I need these things? It's embarrassing.

My prayer for myself and for you is that every day I will fall more in love with Jesus and know that my only hope is in him and my true security lies within his love for me, not the world's.

Aaron's post about Want could do all of us a bit of good to read and maybe take some time to meditate today on the things we "want". Are they things God desires for us? Or...are they things the world desires for us?

5 comments:

Haley said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Secrets don't make friends Meliss! I will be reading up on you now =)

Haley said...

oh yeah... nice background. haha

Melissa said...

What's the deal with the background, you brat?

Betsy said...

Melissa, the Lord blessed you with such natural beauty that I have told you since you were a teenager that you didn't need all those "things" you thought you wanted. The wonderful part is that He has also blessed you with an inner beauty. I love you.

Natalie said...

i on the other hand may not have been blessed with "natural beauty" but as they say...if the house needs painting, paint it! ha ha! on a serious note, i really need to read this...thanks for sharing.