Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Brentwood City Group Mission

I really struggle with the tension between Matthew 5 and 6 when talking on my blog about missional work we are doing with our Church/City Group. Matthew 5 says to let your light shine before men so that they might see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven. Matthew 6, on the other hand, says to be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

I think Jesus is mainly addressing the "heart" of the matter, which would be motive. Is my motive in updating my blog to receive praise and applause for the good our City Group is doing, or, is it to lead by example in what Jesus asks of us and point all glory to Christ? I pray it's the latter of the two.

City Groups at Austin City Life are to be the Church to our neighborhood. The City Groups are broken up as such (by neighborhood) and once a month we do a missional project in that neighborhood. We live in Brentwood and so we focus on this neighborhood in Austin.

Last night we visited a retirement center on Burnet Rd. and Justin Ln. http://www.retirementnursingcenter.com/ We took them Valentines cards and Nate played the guitar for them. They loved it. They loved that the kids were there, loved the music, and loved telling us stories of their childhood and early adulthood. They just needed to be loved on. They talked about their children, their past jobs, where they grew up, their neices and nephews. It felt good to meet them and love on them. We plan on going back once a month and trying to be a consistent presence to them.

Here are some pictures from the night:



























6 comments:

Betsy said...

What you all are doing is amazing, and a wonderful heritage you and Nate are giving to your girls. I loved the pictures.

Alana said...

You make me proud!! Continue to let your light shine! What a wonderful example to others (especially Jess and Ava)! I love you all!

Mary Helen said...

What a wonderful Valentine's Day! You guys are amazing. I know the people at the nursing home had a great time and so appreciated people caring about them. You can also tell in the pictures how much they loved seeing the kids. Jess and Ava, as always, are beautiful!

Natalie said...

I love how happy the lady was that Nate was singing to! That really makes me happy. It's also very cool that Jess and Ava get to share in what yall are doing. Also makes me feel like my life is way too boring.....

Unknown said...

Natalie,

It is important to note that clearly in the second picture, the lady (the same lady Nate was singing to) was much, much, much happier with me when I was reading her the card, as opposed to when Nate was singing to her.

So, to sum up,

Was the lady happy when Nate was singing? Yes.

Was she more happy when I was reading to her? Obviously.

Erin said...

It's really humbling, isn't it, to be in the company of people who have lived life for many years and have so much wisdom. Yet, they seem to be the forgotten generation in our busy and self-focused society. But, one day, we will be as old as them, should God allow us to live that long. Let's pray that as we love on them, that we, too, will be cared for during those years. God bless you for loving on them, sister!