Monday, December 29, 2008

Convicted

Well, I haven't updated in a while...

I hope everyone had a Christmas filled with joy, laughter and precious time with family. I also hope everyone took time to worship the Lord in their own way, remembering that it was his birthday. I tried really hard this Christmas to ignore all of the hustle and bustle and the presents and just remember that Jesus was born in a manger and then died a death he did not deserve so that I could live a life that I do not deserve. And, when I say I do not deserve it, I mean...I do not deserve it. Of course, human nature kicked in and I realized on the way home from Temple that I hadn't prayed in a couple of days.

I have really been convicted today about some things. I spent about an hour lying in bed this morning praying about things. One of the things I feel pretty convicted about is that I am surrounded by people in Austin that "get" the gospel. I mean, really "get" it. It convicts me because I realize I'm not there yet. I am trying every day to learn more about God and what he wants for us, as his followers. I still don't quite "get" it yet. The bible is pretty clear about who we are supposed to reach out to...orphans, widows and the poor. I have friends who live this out on a daily basis. This shouldn't just be something we "volunteer" to do. We should live it. It should be on our hearts, in our minds and should show in our actions. I do not live this out. I am pretty good about doing something "missional" once a month, but I don't "live" it. I feel God wanting more from me.

I pray that God gives me a heart for His people, particularly the widows, orphans and the poor. I pray that I start to "get" the gospel more and more each day.

Here are some people I look up to and strive to be like:

www.dreamingbigdreams.wordpress.com
www.muchhasbeengiven.blogspot.com
www.mpaustin.org

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Tyler, how do I make a website a link in the post so that when people click on it, it goes right to it?

Alana said...

Melissa, I am just getting around to reading the blogs again. Even though you have felt convicted, I think you and Nate live out the gospel as much as anyone I know! We could all DO more! I am so proud of you and your family!

Betsy said...

Ditto to you Mom's comments. You have a precious Christian, and I love the way Ava "belts out" singing "Praise ye the L(w)ord."

Betsy said...

I meant to say Christian family.