Monday, June 15, 2009

How Sweet the Sound



Austin City Life had their first Baptism this last weekend and it was done in true ACL fashion...at Barton Springs pool. The busiest place in Austin on a hot summer day. This was no private event at a secluded river spot on some one's land. It was in the middle of Barton Springs, where topless hippies and stoned bystanders watched what was going on. I didn't make it down to the water to actually see the baptism's (I was feeling a little sick) but I heard that people standing around were really wondering what was going on and asking questions. How cool is that?

When the group came back up to our picnic spot and got in a circle to bless all the good food, Jonathan said "we're going to sing the first verse of Amazing Grace and then bless the food." I kind of laughed out loud because I truly thought he was joking about the singing part. But...everyone started in singing the first line of Amazing Grace and I soon realized this was no joke. I began to look around at the people in the circle around me and at the people walking by, staring at all of us, wondering why we were singing. All of the sudden, it hit me how extremely cool this was. We are standing in a huge group, singing Amazing Grace, in the middle of Barton Springs, after two people were just publicly baptized, and there was not a sweeter sound to me. I fell in love again with this community and their boldness.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss you guys and your love for Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Such encouraging reflections, Melissa!