Friday, April 24, 2009

Austin City Life


I promise this isn't intended to be a cheesy plug for my Church. I just want to talk for a minute about how this Church, this community, has changed my life.

Nate and I started attending ACL back in September of 2007. We were still living in Belton and Nate attended more than me. He would drive down to Austin on Tuesday nights and lead worship in the Dodson's living room...filled with about 8 people. Maybe 10. I could tell that he was really being affected by this small group of people and it kept him driving back and forth every week. I kept myself sort of removed for a while because A)we lived in Belton and I had a full time job and not much time to drive to Austin and back and B)I felt I had already found my Church home at The Vista in Belton. The Vista will ALWAYS hold a special place in me because I feel that I was first introduced to a community who extended grace to messy people, all along, wanting to help them grow. Anyway...Nate came to me at some point and said "I want to move to Austin and be a part of Austin City Life. I believe in their vision, what they're doing and this guy Jonathan who God is using to carry it all out." I said ok, and we moved.

We are now over a year and a half into ACL and I've never grown more spiritually and relationally in my life. I am learning truly what the gospel means. I am learning what Jesus taught. I am learning how Jesus' teachings play out in real life. I am learning to love my neighbors (like...my real neighbors). I am learning how to be missional in EVERY aspect of my life. I am learning true forgiveness. I am learning true repentance. I have become more prayerful. I am learning how to glorify God in the way I am a mother, friend, wife, sister, daughter. I am still SO far off on perfecting these things. I never will. But by God's grace...I get to try.

Thanks Austin City Life for what you have meant to the Navarro family. Thank you for following Jesus with us and teaching us along the way. I am so thankful for you.

www.austincitylife.org

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

We are so grateful to God that he brought you and the rest of the Navarros into our lives. We reap the benefit of gospel fruit from your following and treasuring Jesus, from your persevering faith, and example of humble repentance. It's so good to be the church with you.

Unknown said...

Real, real good stuff. I love being in community with the Navarros.

LIFe - Matt said...

Rock on! Thanks for posting this...I love reading about other people's journey with Christ.

How amazing His grace and kindness is towards us!

Unknown said...

couldn't agree with you more! it's been an incredible place for the tyrrells too. especially when we needed it! we are so grateful to live life with you guys!