Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Birthday

This is not an announcement that it's my birthday. It's about a few thoughts I had today, on my birthday.

I thought back this morning on so many of my past birthdays. I can remember my birthdays all the way back to like middle school. I was thinking about different things that were important to me on each birthday.

I'm sure in middle school I was concerned about being popular and having cute clothes and worrying about what boys liked me, hoping that at least a few did. I remember thinking I was super cool because I was part of the "elite" class...the cheerleaders. I remember it being SO important that people like me, think I'm pretty and think I'm popular.

In high school a lot of that was still important to me but I was also very concerned with my "social life". I was, I'm sure, at every party anyone at Temple High School had. I loved the feeling that sometimes I might have been the "life of the party". It gave me comfort and security. (a false comfort and security).

I have had some really great, fun birthdays, filled with people that I love and that love me. I have also had some rough birthdays. Today I feel blessed to have had both.

The things that are important to me now are so key in life. My family, my amazing husband and beautifully sweet daughters, my friends (so many that I have had since even elementary school), my Church family, my City Group, my beliefs, my job, my co-workers and absolutely most of all...my growing relationship with Jesus. I am thankful for today. I am thankful for every birthday that I get to get up, be with my family and try to live my life to glorify Christ.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Melissa. I'm blessed that I have gotten to share each one of your birthdays since the day you were born. Of course, I wasn't at all the celebrations but did get to see you sometime during the day on your big day. You were one of the most beautiful baby I ever saw and have grown more beautiful, inside and out, as the years have gone by. Love you, Gran

Alana said...

Melissa,
I hope you have had a great birthday! You do have such a precious family and so many people that love you! Your are just easy to love (most of the time)! Jess and Ava adore you, and anyone can see how Nate feels about you! Even though he would probably never admit it, I'm sure Matt still looke up to you just like he did when he was little. I still remember you dragging him by the hand across the back yard when he was about 3, and you were saying "Hey Mr. Shepler, do you want to meet my brother Matthew?" Mr. Shepler was watering our neighbors' yard while they were out of town. Of course, Matt didn't care at all about meeting Mr. Shepler, but if that's what you wanted then he would follow. Matt never said a word and hardly ever changed his expression, but he didn't need to when his big sis was with him. What great memories!! Thanks for all of them! I love you, Mom