Thursday, July 8, 2010

Plea for Prayers





Meet my cousin Shari Johnson. She is 39 years old. She lives in Orlando (or right outside of), Florida. Maybe it's called Winter Garden...I can't remember...I always just think of it as Orlando. She is married to my cousin Joel. She graduated from Florida State. She has two small children, Gracie and Jacob. Jacob is 6 and Gracie is 8. They only make it to town for holidays once a year but they are family and they are close family. You can tell from even the small amount of interaction with their family that one time a year that their kids mean EVERYTHING to them. They possess a family bond that is easily seen and felt within five minutes of being in their presence. Joel and Jacob have their "thumbs up" sign with each other and Gracie, in all of her shyness, falls in to security the minute she's in the arms of her mom or dad. They love each other. All of them.

Shari has cancer. She has breast cancer. I know that we don't know a ton but what I do know is that it's cancer and cancer is never good. They did a double mastectomy last week. They were first hoping that it wasn't in the lymph nodes, but it is. Today, they had a pathology report on the nodes they removed and it was worse than they thought. They are starting chemotherapy immediately. Shari's mother died at 41 of breast cancer so I can only imagine that that might be contributing fear and anxiety to this whole situation. Joel and Shari are very strong believers and their faith throughout this entire process is inspiring.

I usually don't use this as a place to ask for prayer requests but tonight, I am going to. Please, if you pray, pray for Shari. Please pray for her husband Joel and their two children, Jacob and Gracie. I believe that my God is a God that heals. I believe that He brings peace and comfort to His people. I believe that because He says it to be true. I'm praying that He makes good on that promise with the Johnson family. Please pray, with me, for that.

Heavenly Father,

I pray for Shari tonight. I pray, Lord, that you will give Joel and Shari a peace that passes all understanding. I pray that you bring comfort that only you can. I pray that you answer questions and give guidance. I ask that you remove confusion in the minds of Jacob and Gracie and that somehow, you can instill in them the confidence, even at their young age, that you are in control and work all things for good. I ask you Lord, most of all, to please heal Shari. I beg you. In the meantime, please wrap your arms around her and comfort her. Let her feel your presence more than she ever has so that if nothing else, this will be a sweet time of communion with you.

Thank you Lord for Shari and what she brings to this family.

We love you and trust you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying, Melissa.

Heather B. said...

Many prayers.....

Unknown said...

Praying.

Rhandi said...

What a beautiful posting. We will keep them in our prayers as the go through this journey.

Mary Helen said...

We are praying for Shari! Tyler and I had not heard this update. If you can, let me know what details you got yesterday (you can email it to me, if you want to).

Mary Helen said...

I just got the update, so don't worry about sending it. Shari is amazing! I pray that I would react the same way if I am faced with this situation.

Betsy said...

Thank you, Melissa, for the sweet plea to the Lord on Shari's behalf (and her family). You have many, many prayer warriors in your group of friends. I know they are praying this very moment as they read your blog. The scripture I read first thing this morning was, "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."--Joshua 1:9.

shari said...

Thank you Melissa for interceding on our behalf. God is good and honors the prayers of His saints...you are one of them. We feel the prayers as the body of Christ has been so amazing. Our family has grown to a deeper love for each other and our Mighty King...for this I am grateful!!! This I know is true...He is my HEALER!
Much love to you, your precious angels and your hub!
Shari:)